#EatsinCebu: Dim Sum at Harbour City, Ayala Center Cebu

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
 Call me old-fashioned but when it comes to food that I crave for when I live away from Cebu, Dim Sum from Harbour City is on my personal Top Ten list.  I just consider steamed rice with some spring rolls and siomai as the best lunch option on some days.  This love goes back to over 25 years  ago when I discovered this type of food in the old Ding Qua Qua near STC in Mango Avenue.  Even up to now, I always associate this type of food to good times with family and friends.


Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
Fast forward to #Summer2016.  A couple of days ago, I went to work out at Gold's Gym after taking another one of those "bears in winter" hiatus from the gym. So, I did some weights and some cardio exercises which made me really hungry. After taking a shower, I was one hungry bear looking for food. Along the way home, I passed by my old favorite dim sum place. It surely looks better than their old location and the temptation was too much.  I went in and had lunch like a hungry bear coming out from his cave.

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
 The interiors might be more upscale and modern than their old location but thankfully, they serve the same food that I grew up loving. When I go to this place and its siblings like Dimsum Break and Ding Qua Qua, I usually know what to eat way before I sit down.

My Favorites at Harbour City Dimsum

Steamed Rice

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
When you are in a dim sum place in Cebu, you must get some steamed rice.  Steamed rice is not short for steaming white plain rice which is what I usually get when I order steamed rice in Manila restaurants and it always get me disappointed (hehhehe).
Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
Steamed Rice is fried rice topped with a Chinese-flavored meat sauce that has pork/beef plus shrimps and some veggies like peas.  It is actually a meal on its own but it is the perfect partner to all those dim sum favorites.  If you like some heat, then you can order the spicy variant.

Spring Rolls

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
 This is my wife's favorite. She loves everything that resembles the lumpia and the spring rolls at Harbour City is one of its finest forms. It's crispy and it surely gives a contrast in my mouth when paired with the steamed rice.

Siomai

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
 Who would not like steamed meat dumplings? At Harbour City, they have several kinds of siomai like plain, mushroom, and quail egg (pictured above).  Aside from siomai, the Chinese restaurant offers many kinds of steamed and fried dim sum specialties.

Hakaw

Zomato Review, Harbour City Ayala Center Cebu, Dim sum, steamed rice, siomai, hakaw, spring rolls, Kalami Cebu Seal of Approval
I normally order hakaw or steamed shrimp dumpling aside from siomai.  You typically have to wait for 15 minutes before you can enjoy the hakaw but it is definitely worth the wait.

If I am really hungry, I can finish all these in one meal just like what happened a couple of days ago.  Call me a traditionalist or old-fashioned but eating Harbour City can easily trump any of the fast food options that are available in the mall.  A meal at this dim sum place will always be scored between 4 to 5 stars by me.  I was definitely a happy bear in my latest visit at Harbour City.




This place deserves the Kalami Cebu seal of approval!



Do you also love dim sum? Please let me know by leaving a comment. 


Harbour City Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafes in Cebu: Backstory Kitchen and Cafe

Let's Eat Bai celebrates first year with milestones

GTalks Event Explores AI's Potential to Empower Women in Tech: GCash and Connected Women Lead the Way