CJ's Empanada: Vigan's Best Empanada

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels,
Many cities or countries in the world have that signature fried food that locals and tourists rave about. Cebu has its ngohiong, England has its Fish and Chips while Ilocos has its empanada.  When I went to Vigan, number 1 on my "to taste" list is definitely the Ilocos empanada.  When I arrived in the Ilocos Sur capital, I asked where can I eat the best Vigan empanada and they pointed me to CJ's Empanada.



Vigan's Best Empanada 

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines

CJ's was just a walking distance away from Hotel Salcedo where I was staying with my mom and godparents.  I really liked the overall vibe of the Heritage Village.  It is like time stopped moving for over a hundred years.  The best way move around is either by kalesa or by walking.  Walking is definitely the choice if you want to have a mini-"food crawl" in Vigan.

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines


We first explored Calle Crisologo and the other side streets of the Heritage Village.  After around fifteen minutes of leisurely walking, we ended up in CJ's Empanada.  You can actually buy an empanada for as low as 10 pesos. That is basically an empanada filled with grated papaya.   The most expensive one is at 65 pesos.  It is called double-double special meaning it has 2 servings of papaya, egg, and longanisa.

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines


I decided to get the double-double special.  I enjoyed watching how it was made. What I like most about the Ilocos empanada is that it is a meal on its own.  It is packed with veggies, fats, and protein to last you a night of Raniag festivities.  One double-double special was really enough for me. The crust is crunchy while fillings were uber yummy especially when you put some of the famous Ilocos vinegar.  It is quite addictive especially for people who love crispy fried food like me.

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines


I surely want to go back to Vigan sometime in the future and for me, the best time to go to this charming city is during the Raniag festival. Raniag Twilight Festival is Vigan's Halloween festival.  It has activities similar to Sinulog like street dancing but all activities are done after sunset. On the week before All-Saint's Day, Vigan just comes alive every night and each night is perfect for a food trip.  I can imagine myself munching on some CJ's empanada at Calle Crisologo while watching the parade of costumes or after the flight of the sky lanterns.

Ilocos Empanada, Vigan Empanada, CJ's Empanada, Vigan's Best Empanada, Kalami Cebu in Vigan, Kalami Cebu Travels, Food Blog Philippines


So, have you tried the empanada in Vigan, how do you find it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafes in Cebu: Backstory Kitchen and Cafe

Let's Eat Bai celebrates first year with milestones

GTalks Event Explores AI's Potential to Empower Women in Tech: GCash and Connected Women Lead the Way