Kalami Cebu goes to Vigan! - A Preview


Kalami Cebu, Food Blog, Kalami Cebu goes to Vigan, Vigan, Ilocano Cuisine, Ilocos Emapanada, Bagnet, Vigan Longanisa, Poqui-Poqui, Sinanglao, Pinakbet, Bagnet Sisi

I did not know that I was starving until I tasted...Vigan.  For a couple of years, I have been food blogging and my food adventures revolved around my lovely island of Cebu.  Yes! Cebu has a lot of awesome places but my recent trip to Vigan made realize that our country has so much to offer to foodies all around the world.




Kalami Cebu, Food Blog, Kalami Cebu goes to Vigan, Vigan, Ilocano Cuisine, Ilocos Emapanada, Bagnet, Vigan Longanisa, Poqui-Poqui, Sinanglao, Pinakbet, Bagnet Sisi


Lessons From My Vigan Food Tour

A month ago my mom told me that she plans to go to Vigan and asked me to tag along. Of course, I said "Yes!". I heard a lot of good things about the Ilocos Region. My college roommate was from Ilocos Sur and my Ilocano friends are pretty proud of their cuisine. Just before I left for Vigan, I made a list of the things that I should eat there. The list was not so long.  I probably assumed that Vigan is just about Pinakbet, Bagnet, Longaniza, Igado, and Ilocos Empanada.  Boy, I was so wrong. 


Kalami Cebu, Food Blog, Kalami Cebu goes to Vigan, Vigan, Ilocano Cuisine, Ilocos Emapanada, Bagnet, Vigan Longanisa, Poqui-Poqui, Sinanglao, Pinakbet, Bagnet Sisi

I discovered so many new dishes that any tourist should try while in Vigan. The ones on my list were really amazing but there were so many new things I have tasted that makes me salivate while writing this. Dishes like sinanglao, bagnet with KBL, poqui-poquidinoydoy, bagnet sisig, royal bibingka and borodibod are forever etched in my palate. The food was so different from what I have been used to here in Cebu to the point that it made me want to explore the "legacy" dishes of my island.

I am so impressed that Ilocanos are into local food despite the onslaught of large fast food chains.  It provides a stark contrast to Cebu were many new restaurants open with Foreign themes.  The visit is indeed an eye and palate opener for me that I want to devote a big chunk of my blog to writing about "endangered dishes".


Kalami Cebu, Food Blog, Kalami Cebu goes to Vigan, Vigan, Ilocano Cuisine, Ilocos Emapanada, Bagnet, Vigan Longanisa, Poqui-Poqui, Sinanglao, Pinakbet, Bagnet Sisi

Endangered dishes are popular food items in the past that are slowly losing relevance and significance in the age of millennials. I want Cebuanos or in the larger scale Filipinos to celebrate the local culinary creations that have been part of our culture and society. In Cebu, I would probably start with pungko-pungko, ngohiong, balbacua, paklay, utan bisaya, dugo-dugo, and nilarang.  I also want people to know that Cebuano cuisine is not just about frying and grilling.


Before I press the reset button on Kalami Cebu, I will write an in-depth look at my favorite mouth-watering dishes from Ilocos Sur.   Check out this short video for a sneak peek of the food that I will be featuring on the blog in the next few weeks.




Related articles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafes in Cebu: Backstory Kitchen and Cafe

Let's Eat Bai celebrates first year with milestones

GTalks Event Explores AI's Potential to Empower Women in Tech: GCash and Connected Women Lead the Way