17 Best Food Memories of Suroy Surigao

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

A couple of weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to be one of the travel bloggers and writers to be invited to visit Surigao City.  To be honest,  I do not know much about this city in Mindanao.  In fact, it was my first time to visit Mindanao.  Well, after three days, I found out that I have been missing a lot all these years.  I "tasted" Surigao and I would love to go back there very soon.  Here are some of the best dishes that I have tried during the Suroy Surigao Tour:



Kalami Cebu's Best Dishes of Suroy Surigao
Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog
I already knew that this trip will not just be about the best tourist destinations in the city, the moment we arrived in Surigao.   The first thing we did was eat.  In my 3 days there, I would say that I was never ever hungry.  The people from the Surigao City Tourism Office prepared an awesome itinerary that never took our bellies for granted. It was such an amazing culinary journey that I have to make this list of favorite food memories of Suroy Surigao.

No. 17 Nilung-ag na Saba na Saging (Boiled Bananas)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

The saba has been a staple when I go to the beach with my family in Bohol.  I like dipping it into  "una^" or the sauce from the ginamos (fermented fish).   It was a pleasant surprise seeing and eating some boiled bananas during our lunch at Pagkawasan  Beach in Hikdop Island.

No.16 Boiled Camote (Sweet Potato)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

While we were having dinner at Mt. Bagarabon, they served us boiled sweet potatoes for dinner.  It was perfectly cooked and it was already peeled.  Camote is such a great substitute for rice.

 No.15 Biko

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

This classic sticky rice cake is solid as a dessert or snacks.  I had this at Mt. Bagarabon Resort and also upon our arrival in Barangay Buenavista in Hikdop Island.  The biko gave me enough energy to survive my first ever cave exploration (more on that in a future post).

 No. 14 Korean Beef (Kalbi Jjim)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

On Day 2, we had dinner at Almont Resort and I really enjoyed their Kalbi Jjim.  The Korean Beef Short Ribs is a complete main dish that I truly recommend should you visit this beautiful resort in Surigao City. 

 No.13 Camote Cue

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Right before we left for Cebu, Ms. Roselyn Merlin from the Surigao City Tourism Office made sure that we go home with a full stomach.  I ended up eating some camote cue.  Have you ever enjoyed Camote Cue at the airport?  I surely did!

 No.12 Silog Breakfast at Le Chard Place

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

I stayed in Le Chard Place Bed and Breakfast during the Suroy Surigao Tour.  My stay there included a free Breakfast.   I really did not mind waking up early just to enjoy their silog meals.  I had the corned beef on Day 2 then on Day 3, they told me that I can order two so I added a longganisa meal.  I always start my Suroy Surigao day with a heavy breakfast thanks to my friends from Le Chard Place. 

 No.11 Budbud

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

On Day 3, I enjoyed some budbud or suman while cruising on a raft going to Tinago Island in Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte.  The budbud was a perfect pair for the instant coffee because it was raining on our way the beautiful island of Tinago. 


No.10 Balanghoy

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

It has been years since I ate boiled Balanghoy or Cassava.  It was a staple in our Suroy Surigao trip.  I love eating this root crop while at the beach. 

 No.9 Kinilaw

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Just like any coastal town in the Philippines, Surigao has a lot of seafood dishes. When it comes to fish, one of our favorite types of preparations would definitely be kinilaw.  I was served several versions of kinilaw while I was there and they all got a thumbs up from me.


 No.8 Dried Squid

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

The Surigao City Tourism Office (CTO) sent Le Chard Place some dried pusit (squid) that they cook for me for breakfast. It was so fragrant that the other hotel guests wanted to order one.  It was fun to eat and I ended up finishing a plateful in Day 2 and 3.

No.7 Lechon

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Another dish that was present in our island hopping tours in Day 2 and 3 is the lechon or inasal.  For me, inasal or lechon is definitely on top of my list of the best food to bring to the beach.  It was perfect with the balanghoy and the seafood dishes of Surigao. 

 No.6 Escabeche

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Surigao has a lot of fish and another good way to prepare fish is to cook escabeche.  This saucy fish dish will make you eat a lot of rice.  Normally, we use smaller fishes for this dish but their version uses larger ones.  Lami Karadjaw!


No. 5 Sinugba (Grilled Fish)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Because of the abundance of fish like Mol-Mol or Parrot Fish, I knew that they will be serving a lot of grilled fish. Grilled fresh fish is simply the best. Our friends from Buenavesta and Tagana-an can prepare some for you if you call them beforehand.

 No.4 Bibingka

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

Another delicacy that I love eating is bibingka.  I ate one at the Pebble Beach in Mabua and I ate another on my way to Tinago Island.  I always prefer the cupcake-style bibingka.  It is same as the bibingka that I have grown up eating in Jagna, Bohol.  I normally chose the ones with a burnt crust. 

 No.3 Saang (Spider Shells)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

For me, one of the culinary highlights of the Suroy Surigao trip was the saang or spider shells.  Our group had an unlimited saang while we were having lunch at Pagkawasan Beach. The adobo version is a must try.  How many spider shells can you finish in one meal?

 No.2 Sayongsong

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

This sticky rice delicacy is a Surigao original.  It reminds me of the calamay of Bohol but it is served in banana leaves formed like a cone. Eating it is pure pleasure.  When I go back to Surigao, I will definitely buy some for pasalubong.


 No.1 Lato (Sea Grapes)

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

No.1 on my list is lato or sea grapes.  This seaweed is often overlooked but it is packed with nutrients and flavor.  I find the sea grapes in Surigao as healthier and bigger that what I am used to in Cebu.  It has a lighter color as well.  When you come to Surigao, you have to try this one. 

 Honorable Mention:  Lobster

Suroy Surigao, Surigao City, Kalami Surigao, Surigao City Tourism Office, Sea Grapes, Roselyn Merlin, Sayongsong, Spider Shells, Bibingka, Le Chard Place, Philippine Food Blog

While we were in Day-asan Floating Villages, we checked out a lobster farm.  Surigao is probably the biggest supplier of fresh lobsters in the country.  We were not able to taste it but I am pretty sure that Surigao lobster can make me forget about lechon if served side by side.

I know that Surigao has more dishes to offer. I just had a glimpse and I am pretty excited to come back for more.  If you are foodie, I am sure that your tongue and tummy will have a great experience there. It was a Kalami Surigao experience that makes me want to shout "Maradjaw Karadjaw!".  Thank you so much for inviting me and I shall return very soon!


Related Posts






Comments

  1. Kalami Ba! Nindota ekuyug ug asawa diri uy, nya pede na dayon mag bang bang kay kasal na dili na sala!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our efforts and dedication helps us in optimizing our online productivity and also leads us to become a thriving Shopify app development agency all across Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cafes in Cebu: Backstory Kitchen and Cafe

Let's Eat Bai celebrates first year with milestones

GTalks Event Explores AI's Potential to Empower Women in Tech: GCash and Connected Women Lead the Way